Best Dog Food Brand
It’s never easy to identify the best brand of dog food. The best food for your dog may not be the best food for your neighbor’s dog. In fact, if you have two dogs, they may not respond the same way to the same food. If your dog has food allergies, for example, he may need a special food that omits certain common proteins such as chicken, beef, lamb, or corn which are usually found in typical dog foods. Dogs can have different metabolism rates. Some dogs have no problem eating grains while other dogs do better on a diet that is grain-free and higher in protein.
In general, the best brands of dog food contain two or three meat proteins in the first five ingredients. Dogs are carnivores and they are able to digest meat protein better than other forms of protein. Beef, lamb, and chicken are commonly used in dog foods and these meats are fine for most dogs. If your dog has allergies you will need to seek out other protein sources called “exotic” or “novel” proteins that your dog has not previously been exposed to. This will lessen the chance that your dog will have an allergic reaction to them.
Many brands of food today contain corn. There is nothing specifically wrong with giving your dog a food that contains corn. Dog food companies use corn because it is a plant-based protein and it costs less than meat protein. However, corn has been so widely used in dog food today that some dogs are allergic to it. For this reason many owners try to avoid foods that contain corn in one of its many forms: corn gluten meal, yellow corn, ground corn, and so on.
Some foods use other grains and starches instead of corn. They may use sweet potatoes or potatoes, for example. These foods are fine for many dogs. Some owners prefer to feed their dogs a food that is grain-free. If you feed your dog a food that is grain-free or low carb it usually contains a much higher percentage of protein than other dog foods. This isn’t bad for your dog but you must be sure that the food contains the proper ratios of calcium and phosphorus, which can be thrown off when greater quantities of meat protein are used. This can result in dietary imbalances for your dog.
The best dogs foods usually have some other things in common. They usually avoid preservatives such as BHA, BHT, and ethoxyquin and use natural preservatives such as vitamin E and C instead. And they don’t use artificial flavor enhancers or sugars, or food colorings.
Many of the best foods will also use human grade ingredients. The ingredients may be hormone-free and free of antibiotics. And the better foods may add taurine to their foods to aid in heart health.
These are some of the hallmarks of the best dog foods made today. You can find a listing of dog reviews on the site Dog Food Reviews <http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/>. Here is their list of five-star dry dog foods.
Top Rated Dry Dog food
- Acana Dog Food (Dry)
- Acana Grain-Free (Dry)
- Amicus Dog Food (Dry)
- Annamaet Grain Free (Dry)
- Artemis Fresh Mix Maximal Dog (Dry)
- Back to Basics Dog Food (Dry)
- Before Grain Dog Food (Dry)
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness (Dry)
- Brandon Farms Organics (Dry)
- Brothers Complete Allergy Formula (Dry)
- Brothers Complete Grain Free (Dry)
- By Nature Organics (Dry)
- Canidae Grain Free Pure (Dry)
- Canine Caviar Grain-Free (Dry)
- Castor and Pollux Organix (Dry)
- Dogswell Nutrisca (Dry)
- Dr. Tim’s Dog Food (Dry)
- Earthborn Holistic Grain Free (Dry)
- Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural (Dry)
- EVO Dog Food (Dry)
- Fromm Four Star Nutritionals Grain-Free (Dry)
- Go Natural Grain Free (Dry)
- Holistic Blend Grain Free (Dry)
- Horizon Legacy (Dry)
- Infinia Dog Food (Dry)
- Nature’s Logic (Dry)
- Nature’s Variety Instinct (Dry)
- Orijen Adult (Dry)
- Orijen Puppy (Dry)
- Orijen Senior (Dry)
- Pinnacle Peak Protein Formula (Dry)
- Premium Edge Healthy Weight Reduction (Dry)
- Solid Gold Barking at the Moon (Dry)
- Taste of the Wild (Dry)
- TimberWolf Wild and Natural (Dry)
- Victor Grain Free Dog Food (Dry)
- Wellness Core Dog Food (Dry)
- Wysong Epigen (Dry)
- Wysong Optimal Performance (Dry)